Short-Term Volunteer Assignments
GSC's short-term volunteer programs are designed for those who are interested in exploring the world of international volunteering but don't have the time to commit to a long-term program. We understand that many have a desire to volunteer abroad and help communities in need but have busy lives that prohibits long-term travel. In order to fill that void, we've partnered with local organizations in Cambodia who specifically need shorter-term volunteers.
Our short-term programs start with a two week minimum commitment and can be as long as eight weeks; depending on the volunteer's individual needs (a program longer than 8 weeks is considered a long-term program). All GSC volunteers receive cultural orientation and project training prior to the start of their program, no matter how long or short the volunteer is in Cambodia for.
In Cambodia, Short-Term Volunteer Abroad Programs are offered for the following:
- The Child and Orphan Care Program involves two to eight weeks of mentoring, teaching, and interacting with young Cambodian children, some of which are orphans, in a local orphanage or community center.
- The Teach English Abroad Program involves four to eight weeks of teaching basic, conversational English to primary or secondary students at local schools in and around Phnom Penh.
- The Buddhist Immersion Program involves two to eight weeks of immersion into the Buddhist lifestyle while living in a wat (Buddhist monestary) and teaching English to novice monks at a nearby school.
- The Global Public Health Program involves four to eight weeks of provding public health education services to adults and youth in mostly rural areas of Cambodia.
- The Community Development and Youth Leadership Training Program involves four to eight weeks working with one of GSC's partner organizations, Youth for Peace, to help educate, mobilize, and empower the youth in Cambodia to become community leaders.
- The Integrated Program gives volunteers the option to combine two or more programs and requires at least one week spent at each of the above programs.
All Cambodia volunteer programs begin in Phnom Penh, where a GSC representative will greet you upon arrival at the airport and escort you to your hotel accomadtions. You and your fellow volunteers will then be given an orientation and training that includes an introduction to Cambodian culture, basic Khmer language lessons, project training, and a tour of the local area. After orientation and training you will then move to your project placement and start your volunteer work.
Click on the links below to request more information about our programs and ask any questions you may have, learn about our program's start dates and current rates, read about the application process, and start an application.