Obtaining English language skills opens a world of opportunity for people across Southeast Asia, particularly in Cambodia. Many industries, such as tourism and hospitality, require employees to have basic English skills and many international agencies with offices in Cambodia use English for daily operations. However, according to the recent English Proficiency Index by Education First, Cambodia has the worst English language skills in Asia. This is due to various obstacles facing the under developed education system including a lack of English curriculum in state schools, insufficient teaching materials, and a shortage of qualified teaching staff. In short, as Cambodia’s economic growth and increasing international presence provide potential opportunity for its people Cambodia is simultaneously faced with the challenge of bolstering English language skills, which is required to succeed in these dynamic times.
To help address the disparity between the crucial need to improve English literacy and the unique nature of existing and accessible resources to do so, GSC’s Teach English Abroad Program in Cambodia teams up with selected local schools and community development organizations to assist disadvantaged students. These organizations have made significant progress with local communities by establishing schools in rural areas and training centers in Phnom Penh slum communities to help the citizens of Cambodia who need it most. GSC volunteers in the Teach English Abroad Program assist partners by teaching basic and conversational English as part of these programs.
• Accommodations at a Phnom Penh or rural homestay or guest house
• Receive an in-country introduction to training materials, including role-play scripts, games, activities, and conversation practice outlines, to become a confident, effective trainer.
• Explore Cambodian culture and sights with fellow volunteers on tours that include the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, the National Museum, the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, the Killing Fields at Cheoung Ek, and many more places.
• Assist Cambodian community organizations and schools in providing conversational English training
• There is no language requirement, and previous training experience is not required - just a positive attitude, ability to take initiative, and a willingness to approach challenges with patience and enthusiasm.
For more information on the GSC Teach English Abroad Program, click here