Your enrollment in a GSC Program consists of 4 steps:
Step 1: Prepare your online application
• Choose a GSC Program.
• Decide when to go and for how long. GSC service-learning programs have monthly start dates.
• Prepare an updated resume. If you are retired use your most recent resume and indicate that you are now retired.
• Prepare your personal statement. Your one-page personal statement should describe your interests, skills and experiences, what you can bring to the program, and how you will benefit from the GSC experience.
Step 2: Complete your online application, submit forms, and pay the deposit
• Go to the Apply Now page on the GSC website and submit your personal information, select a MyGSC username and password, and select your program, start date, and duration.
• Upload your resume and one-page personal statement.
• Download and mail your paper Application Form to GSC: 821 NW 11th Ave, Suite 309, Portland, OR, 97209
• Pay your $300 deposit either with a credit card by calling the GSC office or by sending a personal check or money order (payable to Global Service Corps) along with your paper Application Form. If during the enrollment process GSC declines your application, your deposit will be refunded. If you cancel your application or your participation the deposit is not refunded.
• GSC staff will notify you via email when your paper Application Form and deposit have been received and your online application materials have been reviewed. You will then be given access to your MyGSC page. Here you can access the additional application and participant forms that you will need to complete and submit to GSC, as well as the schedule of due dates. Please log on to your MyGSC page as soon as you have been notified by GSC staff that your MyGSC page has been activated.
Step 3: Pay balance due and submit additional forms that are due in the office 60 days before your program begins.
• Send your final payment by personal check or money order (payable to Global Service Corps) to: Global Service Corps, 821 NW 11th Ave, Suite 309, Portland, OR, 97209. All payments and funds submitted to Global Service Corps must be in US dollars. If GSC receives checks in another currency, they will be returned to the participant, who will be required to re-submit the payment in US dollars.
• Submit the participant forms.
Important Note: Steps 1- 3 must be completed in time for all items to be received in the GSC office 60 days before your program start date. If you are unable to meet this due date your enrollment will be subject to a $300 late fee or cancellation. See the "Cancellation and Refund Policy" section of the GSC Application Form below for complete details.
Step 4: Submit the second set of participant forms found on your MyGSC page. This must be completed in time for all items to be received in the GSC office 30 days before your program start date. If you are unable to meet this due date, your enrollment will be subject to a $300 late fee or cancellation. See the "Cancellation and Refund Policy" section of the GSC Application Form below for complete details.
You will not be granted final admittance into the program until all of these four steps have been completed in a timely fashion. If you are close to any of the deadlines, GSC strongly suggests that you express mail the items that are expected in the office and upload the material to be submitted on your MyGSC page so that all of your participant material is received on time.
GSC accepts applicants on a first-come first-served basis. You can speed up your enrollment and facilitate acceptance into your chosen program by submitting Participant Documents before the stated due dates.
Important Things to Note
If you will be under the age of 20 at the time of your program you must submit three professional letters of recommendation on letterhead with your paper Application Form. Letters may be prepared by teachers, advisors, community members (such as clergy), or supervisors. Recommendations from family members and friends, however, are not acceptable. These letters must be received along with your Application Form in order to continue with the enrollment process.
If you are under the age of 18 while applying, but will be 18 years old while participating in a GSC program, you must have a guardian signature on all participant forms. You will also need to submit three letters of recommendation on letterhead as discussed above.
Cancellation, Deferral and Refund Policy:
If during the enrollment process your application is declined GSC will refund your deposit. If you cancel your program at any time GSC will retain your deposit.
GSC must receive notification of date and/or program changes in writing. If cancelling, all refunds will be based on the date GSC receives this notification. If an applicant cancels his/her program, GSC may retain part of their fees as follows:
GSC reserves the right to cancel programs for any reason, including insufficient number of participants. If for any reason GSC cancels a program before its start date, a full refund of all fees paid to GSC will be given. However, if GSC does not receive in the US Headquarters office ALL required completed participant forms and program fees 10 days after the 60 day due date GSC will cancel the participant’s individual program and will retain 50% of the program fees. If GSC does not receive in the US Headquarters office ALL required completed participant forms 10 days after the 30 day due date GSC will cancel the participant’s individual program and will retain 75% of the program fees. GSC recommends express mailing the necessary participant forms to ensure that they are received on time. GSC is not responsible for other expenses incurred by participants in preparation for the trip (airline tickets, visas, immunizations, travel insurance, etc.).
Late Applicants and Fast-Tracking Rush Enrollment Fees
Any applicant who applies too late to submit the 60 day materials on time, or who applies less than 60 days prior to the scheduled start date will be considered a late applicant and will be subject to a rush enrollment. Rush enrollments are assessed an additional charge of $300 to facilitate fast-tracking of placements abroad. At the time of submitting the application material, the late applicant must include ALL fees paid by cashier’s check or money order payable to “Global Service Corps”. These fees include the $300 deposit, $300 rush enrollment fee, and the standard program fees (see GSC’s published schedule and fees for program costs). GSC does not accept applications received less than 50 days prior to the scheduled start date of the applicant’s program
After GSC receives Step 1 and Step 2 of your application materials (see above), you will be given access to your MyGSC Page where you will find the additional application and participant forms that must be completed and submitted to GSC. GSC must receive in the office all participant forms normally due by the 60 day deadline within 10 days of after the deadline or your program will be cancelled. Late applicants are expected to submit the other remaining participant information on the scheduled 30-day due date. An additional $300 late fee will be applied if this due date is missed. All remaining 30-day deadline items must be received by GSC 20 days before the program start date or the applicant’s program will be cancelled.